Guest Post by Heidi Montierth
A vegan diet has many health benefits including: lowering your risk of heart disease, helping you to lose excess weight, and it may even protect against certain cancers. If you decide to go vegan, you will be removing animal products from your diet, therefore, you become more reliant on natural foods such as fruits, veggies, nuts, and whole grains. Eating these foods increases the nutritional goodness that goes into your body helping you look and feel healthy.
When I first discovered the vegan diet, I was under the impression that I would only be eating sticks and grass and all the good food was out the window. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this was not the case whatsoever. After making the switch, I have eaten more gourmet food in the last year than I have throughout most of my life. After a little practice and creativity, I can now transform fresh veggies and whole foods into deliciously decadent meals.
This Loaded Vegan Quesadilla is a fantastic option for a delightful and filling meal.
– 2 bell peppers
– 1/2 medium onion
– 2 tbs olive oil
– 2 ripe avocados
– 1 medium tomato
– 1 can black beans
– 1 jalapeño
– salt and pepper to taste
– dairy free cheese optional
– Chop bell peppers and onions and sauté in olive until lightly browned. Salt and pepper.
– Mash avocado and add chopped tomatoes and set aside.
– Layer black beans, pepper and onions, avocado mixture on a tortilla and top with jalapeños and the top tortilla.
– Cook on stove covered on low for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly crisp.